Wednesday, 17 February 2016

November 9

November 9 - Colleen Hoover


DESCRIPTION

This is a love story between a guy (me) and a girl (Fallon).
I think.
Can it even be considered a love story if it doesn’t end with love?
Mysteries end when the mystery is solved.
Biographies end when the life story has been told.
Love stories should end with love, right?
Maybe I’m wrong, then. Maybe this isn’t a love story. If you ask me…I’d say this might even be considered a tragedy.
Whatever it is—however it ends—I promised I would tell it. So without further ado.

Once upon a time…I met a girl.
THE girl.

REVIEW

How to make a bestseller with a famous name and few good quotes.

I know that my opinion is out of the crowd, but I have to tell what I really think about this book and I’m going to give all the explanation about.

I liked some Colleen Hoover books like Slammed and Hopeless, and I almost hate others like Ugly Love that disappointed me too much. But I wanted to try again, and this book, really, doesn’t work for me at all. 
It was a not so bad reading for a part, but became a very disaster for the rest.

I think most of you really believe to have read a very special book, amazing, emotional and heartbreaking. There are all the elements: drama, difficult past, a nice guy, a poor little girl, love, sex and whatever you want. But I think I have read a possible good book, but with too much drama, too much coincidences and most of all, too long.

The story begin too slow and maybe is addressed to very young people (or maybe I’m too old for this stuff). 
Fallon meets Ben at eighteen. He seems the classic prince charming, who saves her from a hard situation. They instantly like each other, maybe they fall in love the first night but… they are too young and it’s not time for love at that age. 

OK.

So they decide to wait for five years and to meet each other just one day a year (???) and to have their experiences separated before have a relationship.

WHAT A SHIT.

They have their own lives, but they are never happy. They know. You know. But for any strange and inexplicable reason, they keep going this way, and nobody understand why.
When they meet they absolutely know that they want stay together… but no, it’s not possible. They have to wait.

WHAT?

I think love can come at every age and you have to take every chance to be happy, at eighteen, at twenty-five ora at forty. 
Years don’t count. Never.
So I’m suddenly disappointed for the way the book takes, and keep reading never changed my mind.

This book is a trick. A very good marketing job, few quotes spread around the web that catch the attentions of very romantic girls (like me), and a name that means bestseller one year before the realising date.

You can’t leave yet. I’m not finished falling in love with you.

You left with my soul in your fists and my heart in your teeth, and I don’t want either of them back.

I thought I was stronger than a word, but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.


And ok, this is the game, you know? But I’m a brain, and I’m used to use it. So when I read something like:

I shove the dress back at him. “I don’t want to wear that, I want to wear this.”
“No,” he says. “I’m paying for dinner, so I get to choose what to stare at while we eat.”

You both are stupid.

“Baby,” he says, his lips forming a smile. “You have already made this the best I’ve ever had, and I’m not even inside you yet.”

Seriously?

“Fallon,” he whispers, dragging his lips slowly across mine. “Thank you for this beautiful gift.”

When he found her is still virgin?
Oh God.

Her boobs. Both of them. I know. I'm pathetic. But if we're just going to sit here and stare to each other, it'd be nice if she were showing a little cleavage.

Please. No.

I just want to slap Ben, Fallow and everybody in a rage of 50 miles.
You can’t give me this. You can give readers this.
Readers deserve more.
Ever.

Ben, you’re not a prince charming, you’re an asshole. I think you made lot of mistakes and took too many bad choices, plus, you’re a liar. And I never liked liars. You are beautiful, cheesy, romantic and… boring. Yes. I’d never fall in love with you for sure. You are the worst alpha male masked to a good and beautiful guy I ever met in a book.
I almost hate you.

Fallon is pathetic, too dramatic and with no bones spine. You had a terrible accident, you are hurt phisically and not only, but, please, don’t be stupid and just grab what you want, never mind what can happens. Live you life and take every bite, don’t lose your time and don’t reject love.
Fallon annoying me. Her POV is boring and stupid and I never felt empathy for her. I’m sorry but is not a positive character and I didn’t like her.

The story could go better in the middle, but then, drama coming again, too much, too stupid, too boring. ( I'm using always the same words, I know, but I can't find better.)

How to throw away a book in less than 80 pages.

I think Colleen Hoover charges too many things on this young shoulders. I think Fallon life is already so painful, and thinking Ben is a very good guy, with very intentions and real feelings, is a dream for her and for readers, but then… coincidences and lies come and everything become just… no sense for me.
I can’t and I don’t want spoiler for those didn’t read the book yet, but I really think that at some point you, writer, has to stop. There is a line that defines where is time to leave characters to live their story and their life… you can’t continue with infinitely drama and unbelievable coincidences that made the book unrealistic.

When I red the blurb, I thought "oh wow, great! Ben is a writer, he’s writing a book about their story". Another trick. The last chapters in which you can read Ben’s manuscript are the worst. 
Simply I didn’t found them useful or emotional or… nothing. I just didn’t found. Ok, that are an explanations, you can (maybe) understand Ben life and Ben POV, but really, I’d prefer never read them and never found the truth, because the truth about Ben is the most reason because I hate this book.

So… not very good character, too drama story and a too knotty plot.
I really think this is the worst Colleen Hoover’s book until now and I don’t know if I’m going to read the others.

Two stars because something is enjoyable, Colleen Hoover writing is good, but the story doesn’t work for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment