Wednesday, 21 January 2015

How to Fall in Love

How to Fall in Love - Cecelia Ahern


DESCRIPTION

Adam Basil and Christine Rose are thrown together late one night, when Christine is crossing the Ha' Penny Bridge in Dublin. Adam is there, poised, threatening to jump. Adam is desperate - but Christine makes a crazy deal with him. His 35th birthday is looming and she bets him that before then she can show him that life is worth living. Despite her determination, Christine knows what a dangerous promise she's made. Against the ticking of the clock, the 2 of them embark on wild escapades, grand romantic gestures and some unlikely late-night outings. Slowly, Christine thinks Adam is starting to fall back in love with his life, but is that all that's happening?

REVIEW

Cecelia Ahern is one of my favorite authors and this novel is simply amazing.
Christine is going through a not very happy: getting divorced from her husband who does not seem to want to accept the separation, has a job that sends forward with some difficulty and moreover she saw a man shoot himself without she could do nothing to stop it.
One night she meets Adam, a man who is trying to commit suicide by jumping from Ha' Penny Bridge. Christine decides that this time can't let that happen and convinces Adam to give up from committing his mad gesture, with the promise that in two weeks will enable him to love life and put it back on track. If this fails, Adam will try again on the day of his 35th birthday.
Adam has had some difficulties in the last year: family problems, a father near death from which inherit the family business which does not want to deal with and more, discovered the betrayal of his girlfriend with his best friend, just when was going to ask her to marry him. Adam is depressed but refuses to ask for help, so Christine takes care of his problems and shows how life can still be worth living, despite everything, asking for help to her precious self-help manuals of which can not do without .
But Adam is beautiful breathtaking and Christine is catapulted into his life of which, perhaps, would like to join.
Between the two will create a special relationship, of trust, support, empathy, tying them to each other in a way that would not have thought.

While you were trying to make Maria fall in love with me, and make me fall in love with life, I fell in love with you.

This novel is something unique: the plot is original, something I had not yet read; the setting and descriptions of places (Dublin, my adopted city, i simply love it); the personalities of the characters that you discover page after page, with little secrets kept for years to come out of nowhere, like to clarify on their actions; the secondary characters (I really loved Christine's family, so different from her, and so over the top); feelings held and those just born, that unfold between the events that draw the two protagonists in the life of the other one; wire together every piece of the puzzle flawlessly, without a trace of misunderstandings.

My problem was, I was unhappy with me. You made me like me again. You helped me live my life again. And whether I have you or not, it won’t mean I’ll jump, or end my life. I need to be happy with me. All those things we did for Maria, I enjoyed them because I did them with you. I had fun with you. She may have been the reason, but you were the cause.

Engaging, exciting, at times moving into other fun. The two main characters captured me and transported in their life, so different, belonging to distant worlds but able to merge and give birth to one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read.

Where would we be without tomorrows? What we’d have instead are todays. And if that was the case, with you, I’d hope for the longest day for today. I’d fill today with you, doing everything I’ve ever loved. I’d laugh, I’d talk, I’d listen and learn, I’d love, I’d love, I’d love. I’d make every day today and spend them all with you, and I’d never worry about tomorrow, when I wouldn’t be with you. And when that dreaded tomorrow comes for us, please know that I didn’t want to leave you, or be left behind, that every single moment spent with you were the best times in my life.

Ahern's writing is unmistakable, her delicacy and sweetness in narrating events shines through in every word and I loved every single chapter of her novel. One of those books you read so in one breath, but of which you would never find the end to not separate from it.

Five stars and more for Cecelia Ahern, that made me fall in love with her and her story once again.
Cecelia is a guarantee.




No comments:

Post a Comment